Honey sources

Discussion of mead-making ingredients

Honey sources

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 am

Does anyone have a good source for honey varietals?

Todd, I know you sell honey at a reasonable price in your shop.

I know a couple of beekeepers, and I can ask them for pricing when we're in season if anyone is interested, as well.

Thanks.
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
http://sgfbeerbuzz.com
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health." ~Thomas Jefferson
@sgfbeerbuzz
facebook.com/BeerBuzzRadio
Ben

Currently Fermenting: Fermenters are open and waiting for something new...
Currently On Tap: Holiday Ale 2013, Gluten Free Blonde Ale, Metheglin, Rauchbier, Bourbon-oaked Vanilla Porter, Barrel Project RIS

Re: Honey sources

Postby nateo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm

The Homebrewery's honey is a pretty good price, but I think it's the "standard" wildflower honey you'd find in the grocery stores. (Wildflower just means they forgot to watch which way the bees went when they flew away!) I've made some decent meads and braggots with it, but I prefer more interesting honeys.

I haven't found a good source for varietal honey either, though I don't think any of the small beekeepers would do varietals anyway. Usually those are from those big pollination rigs. Some of the early season local wildflower honey is really good, depending on the weather. There is a Mennonite store near me that sells local honey, but it's kinda pricey. I think it's $4-$4.50 a pound. Last spring it was really dark and intense. Once summer got underway it got a lot lighter and blander. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
"Simple recipes are best, except when they aren't!" - Denny
nateo

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 am

I bought some late summer honey from a friend of mine a couple of years back that was very dark.

I would say most beekeepers in the area have a good idea of that their bees are pollinating, since they move their hives to specific areas for a reason. I have two beekeeping friends, and they're always scouting for good locations.

I put an email in to the Honey Heaven store to ask them, but I've not gotten anything back. I'd like to know if they might consider a discount if we did a club buy from them. We may not get it as cheap as we might directly from a distributor, but it would be handy to see if we could arrange something like that locally.

Ben
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health." ~Thomas Jefferson
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Currently On Tap: Holiday Ale 2013, Gluten Free Blonde Ale, Metheglin, Rauchbier, Bourbon-oaked Vanilla Porter, Barrel Project RIS

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Midwest Brewing Supply has some interesting varieties of honey available. I think I might like to try making some mead with the dandelion honey:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrew ... honey.html
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Postby nateo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

I've heard a lot of people like orange blossom honeys. I'm not familiar with dandelion honey. It's not listed in Ken Schramm's mead book either. So far I've just used clover and wildflower. I have a blackberry braggot that turned out OK. If I ever get some free time I'll bring some to a meeting. I've been going insane with all my work and school lately, but the semester is almost over!
"Simple recipes are best, except when they aren't!" - Denny
nateo

Return to Mead Ingredients