Cider Bulk Buy 2014

Discussion of Cider Ingredients

Cider Bulk Buy 2014

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:58 am

I drive past Murphy's every day, and they now have apples available. While it's not yet full-on cider season, it is approaching, and I'd like to start "group buy" discussions before we get too late and the process grows into a frustrating mess.

So, if you are interested in purchasing cider, subscribe to this forum and reply in the affirmative so we can get an idea of how many people are interested and how much we'll be buying when it comes time.

I recommend that we collect money up front and set a due date. If the money is not paid to the organizer by that due date, you don't get cider.

Also, we should discuss if we want to do this buy from Murphy's or if we want to do what we discussed last year with Mr. Rock at Leaky Roof. We had spoken about going through him for the cider, as he is a big buyer for his cyser. Eventually, he ended up not being able to help in that way and we went through Murphy's.

Please reply with your thoughts below and let me know if you are interested so I can keep you in the loop.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
http://sgfbeerbuzz.com
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health." ~Thomas Jefferson
@sgfbeerbuzz
facebook.com/BeerBuzzRadio
Ben

Currently Fermenting: Fermenters are open and waiting for something new...
Currently On Tap: Holiday Ale 2013, Gluten Free Blonde Ale, Metheglin, Rauchbier, Bourbon-oaked Vanilla Porter, Barrel Project RIS

Re: Cider Bulk Buy 2014

Postby Booner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:12 am

I'm totally in! I've been waiting for cider season!
Booner

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 am

I'm working on a couple of different avenues. I'll keep everyone updated through this forum.
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health." ~Thomas Jefferson
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Currently On Tap: Holiday Ale 2013, Gluten Free Blonde Ale, Metheglin, Rauchbier, Bourbon-oaked Vanilla Porter, Barrel Project RIS

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

At this point, it is not clear if there will be a bulk buy this year. Murphy's has increased the quantity needed to qualify as a "bulk buy" and Todd Rock is not sure if he can accommodate the club, but will look into it.

My recommendation for all club members interested in making cider is to visit Murphy Orchard in Marionville and purchase the cider at their normal rate. It is usually not exorbitantly expensive, and their cier is of high quality. Plus, it is UV pasteurized, which means it is not heated and does not have preservatives added to it. Perfect for fermenting.

I have sent a message to Murphy Orchard to request cider prices and bulk buy requirements, and will keep everyone updated.
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 pm

The bulk buy requirement has not changed as I had thought. The minimum to buy in bulk is 20 gallons, and the cider is $4 per gallon at that price.

From 20 to 99 gallons, it is $4 per gallon.

For anything over 100 gallons, it is $3.75 per gallon.

Todd Frye has stated that he will not be organizing a bulk buy this year. I do not have a truck or large containers for picking up large quantities for others, so I won't be able to coordinate one.

I believe their cider is only $4.50 per gallon for under 20 gallons, but I am checking on that. If that is true, I'm thinking a bulk buy may not be worth the trouble of organizing it, since we won't be saving all that much money. Does anyone have any strong feelings about this?
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I have confirmed that the normal price per gallon is $5.99, so the purchase of cider in bulk does, in fact, save a significant amount.

10 gallons at 5.99 is 59.90, but 20 gallons at 4.00 is only $80.
Ben Stange
Beer Buzz
@sgfbeerbuzz
Ben

Return to Cider Ingredients